Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a Caravan today at a trade show.The contract for…

Customer Question
I purchased a Caravan...

I purchased a Caravan today at a trade show.The contract for the purchase specifically said it was irrevocable and the deposit non refundable. There was no mention that there was a cooling off period either verbally or on the contract. Is there a mandatory cooling off period and if so how many days do I have. Do these days include weekends.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/6/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

Dear customer, in relation to your important matter, where the contract is only one-sided it may be argued that the contract has unfair contract terms, which may make part of the provisions of the contract void, which may make the contract void and the deposit able to be returned. Unfair contract terms are complex matters and do require review of the contract that was signed.

Cooling-off periods apply to cars and motorbikes bought from licensed motor car traders, which is three clear business day. Caravans do not come with a cooling of period. Therefore top seek away out of a contract, unfair contract terms need to be identified.

Where there are unfair contract terms, the Australian Consumer Law will come to your aid to assist in the dispute.

The Australian Consumer Law, Schedule 2, section 25 provides a guide as to what is an unfair term in a consumer contract.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Please don’t forget to leave positive feed back.

Kind regards