Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Sorry, 'enter' is send! I am in Victoria. Firstly I am

Customer Question
Sorry, 'enter' is send! ...

Sorry, 'enter' is send!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I am in Victoria. Firstly I am unsure if I am asking advice from the correct department? I opened a trading account late last year with Hedgestone, with an initial $250. Shortly beforehand, I had moved from ACT to Melbourne, into a share house situation, where I am not on the lease and utilities are not in my name. Several attempts were made by me to submit documents proving my residency, including two documents addressed to me from Centrelink, to no avail. I attempted to speak with someone on many occasions, requesting via email for someone to call me, only to receive reply emails highlighting the documents originally requested. Discouraged and very annoyed, I decided it was all a little difficult and put it aside. Earlier this week, I decided to withdraw the initial investment. I contacted Hedgestone and was informed, by email of course, that as my account has been inactive for 120 days, not only has my money been claimed by an 'inactive fee', but I am also unable to reopen the account. I have no doubt Hedgestone is more than aware that my intention has always been to have an active account with them, yet at no point have I been contacted and informed that I was at risk of forfeiting the $250. I am sure this information would appear in the fine print, however given my known intention and the known difficulties I was having with substantiation, I would think notification of pending account closure would be a more acceptable and respectable course of action. So, I thought I'd seek some advice. Thank you for your time. Pamela

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/6/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

When you signed up what did the terms and conditions say?

Is hedgestone based in Australia or overseas?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor