Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm wondering if you can help me with finding some

Customer Question
Hi I'm wondering if...

Hi I'm wondering if you can help me with finding some legislation regarding paying parking fines within 7 days of finding out about them to appeal possible licence suspension?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

Queensland Who owns the lot? I don't understand

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

I don't understand what 'the lot' is.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was pulled over for having a suspended licence due to non-payment of parking fines. I wasn't aware that my licence was suspended or about the fines. I paid them as soon as the police officer pulled me over and told me the situation. From what I understand, there is legislation that states that if you pay the fines within 7 days of finding out about them, they can't suspend your licence.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/5/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

I'm confused how the whole payment system works. I was told it would be $5 and when I went to the payment page it was $98. I understand that this balance of $93 is payable if I'm satisfied. So what is the fee for the phone call?
I'd prefer to type at this stage if that's ok.

Good Afternoon

There is no such law.

You should have been notified in writing that your licence was to be suspended.

You need to go to the department of transport and request details of the fines and also when they sent you the letter and note where they sent it to.

If there was an error you can take the matter to court and have the court overturn the suspension.

But there is no law in any state that says you get it back in seven days after paying the fines.

You have to go to the department and show evidence that you have paid and they will then put the wheels in motion.

I cannot assist you with the payment system. if you wish a call you have to elect and it is a further fee on top of what you have already offered to pay.

Happy to type as well.

I already had a notice to appear in court. I wasn't aware of the suspension. A letter of suspension was apparently sent to my address but I didn't receive it.
I was served a notice when I was pulled over. At the same time that I paid the fines. I have adjourned once already, and have since been told about this legislation. I am due to reappear in court this Monday.

Good Afternoon

That is for driving whilst suspended and you can get a further disqualification.

If you are convicted of unlicensed driving, the court must disqualify you from holding a driver licence for a period of between 1 and 6 months. You may also receive a fine of more than $5,000 or be imprisoned for up to 1 year.

This is what will happen on Monday

Here is the link it came from.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Licence-suspensions-and-disqualifications/Reasons-for-licence-suspension

You have to go and get evidence on where the fines went and that they are paid and seek the courts leniency not to suspend you further

What you have sent through is what I have already read on the tmr website. There is no new information here.

Good Afternoon

There is no law that says what you have been told.

You are facing a further disqualification and a fine.

You have to convince the court that the mail was not received and that you had no knowledge.

Hopefully you have a good driving record because they will look at that.

Why do none of this sites phone numbers for customer care work??

Good Afternoon

I am unable to answer that.

The site is based in the US and I am in sydney.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor