Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was woundering if I can secretly record a conversation…

Customer Question
Hi i was woundering...

Hi i was woundering if I can secretly record a conversation between myself and my employer and if so what is the limits to what I can do with it? Can other parties know I have recorded it? Can other parties listen to it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In what sense sorry?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/4/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

Dear customer, in relation to your important matter concerning recording conversations with an employer, it is illegal where the other party has not provided their consent. Before recording a conversation that party must provide their consent, and when the recording starts, that consent must be provided again on the recording.

If you would like to discuss this important employment matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Please don’t forget to leave positive feed back.

Kind regards

What if it was openly recorded. Say I put a phone on the table and hit record in plain sight of others? I've read elsewhere that it is not illegal as long as it is not listened to by a third party and that it can only be used for personal use?

Dear customer, the employer would still need to verbally acknowledge the recording was taking place, otherwise there is a claim of deceit that could be raised.

Personal use recording is a grey area of the law, but you are correct, where the recording is used for personal use and not any other means, like what students do in university to record a lecture, this purpose is ok. However, if the recording is taking place in the workplace this is a different situation and such recording would be illegal, unless the employer has approved of recording in the work place.

Kind regards *****