Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Sorry, I just have a simple question. if we both NZ

Customer Question
Sorry, I just have...

Sorry, I just have a simple question. if we both NZ citizens, we married in NZ, but now live in AU, where shall we apply for the divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet just want to find out where should I apply for, NZ or AU first

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much it will cost me for connecting the laywer

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Family Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

How can I pay you?

Lawyer's Assistant: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.

Ok, just one question then please

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/4/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

I only have this simple question so do I need wait for your email for the reply please?

Good Afternoon

Both of you living in Australia you can apply for a divorce in australia

All you need is the Marriage certificate.

You apply here.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

in NZ we have to separate for two years before divorce, in AU is one year, so which rule we should follow

If you are in Australia apply in Australia under our rules.
Once divorced here you are divorced in NZ as well.

But you have to be present in Australia when you file and when the matter is heard.

I hope this makes sense