Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Have been married for 36 years....husband high profile

Customer Question
Have been married for...

Have been married for 36 years....husband high profile government position...I've worked part time 25 hrs a week since I had my first child 35 years ago....found out last November he'd had a mistress for over a decade -living a double life....he refuses to move out of the house...has changed his pay account and gives me approx $600-$700a week to cover all bills and 2 mortgages...I earn $620 a week ...I know I'm entitled to half his government super up until Nov 2016 when we separated and half the house if it's sold.However I will not have enough money for a home in Sydney.At 59 years old I have no potential to borrow ( I can't even get a credit card on my current income) I can't afford thousands in legal fees ...I have approximately $1200 in savings. Am I entitled to some sort of spousal support since he is the one who cheated in the marriage. We had a high profile life and me paraded me around as the dutiful wife. I was on all his election posters. I feel totally used ...36 years married to a liar and cheat

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Saw a girlfriend I went to school with...he got really nasty when I did that. Also saw a family lawyer last January. Even though she knew I had no money still managed to charge me over $1200 . He's pulled out of mediation once. Because he didn't want me knowing what he earned at new govt job. I know he earns 200 k a year....I was going to suggest mediation again as I've had to do redraws on the home loan just to pay bills. I'm scared he will ruin our credit rating as he is a big drinker and gambler...even bought a race horse on a secret credit card once. From my calculations he has over $2000 a week to drink and gamble while I put most of my pay in to cover bills-seems so unfair

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if there is any way I can get financial support off him...I'm the one who gave up my career to support his

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/4/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello

Ok, please allow me to be blunt and to the point and advise accordingly.

All of what he done is hurtful.

But, under the family law act, it is irrelevant for most of it sadly. (As much as I sympathise with you)

You will be unlikely to obtain any spousal maintenance as you have been working and otherwise can live and work sadly. In any event, it is Australia and such maintenance is not readily ordered.

Seek mediation, you have a home, the home can be sold or refinanced and your financial entitlement alone with the home will be 65% roughly, let alone his super that will be considerable considering he is in government.

So you should engage a solicitor and have them paid once the property settlement is done.

The Law Society of NSW will be able to refer a solicitor to you. http://www.lawsociety.com.au

I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you