Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was involved in fraud. I transferred money thinking it was…

Customer Question
I was involved in...

I was involved in fraud. I transferred money thinking it was a request by my boss who was overseas at the time. Is there any way my boss can be reimbursed some of the money by the Commonwealth Bank as we told the bank to stop the payment 1 hour after I did the transfer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In the ACT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we reported it to the bank and the police.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There were things in the email that i saw after i did the transfer.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/4/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
What evidence do you have in respect of the transfer?
Ie confirmation from the boss to undertake the transfer?

An email that l thought was from my boss.
I can't call you as i have a hearing impairment so i would rather communicate by email.

Ok, well you obtained a fake email you believe? From a rogue that pretended to be your boss?
Are you able to provide the email to the police and have them charged?
Did the bank not reverse the amount? Seeing as though you contacted them only one hour before it was done?

we have given the email to the police .
A worker contacted the bank to stop the payment within 1/2 hour of my transfer. Apparently the bank said the money had gone into the person account straight away and the money was transferred out of that account within a couple of hours.

Ok, well that is frustrating.
Well the police really is the only choice at this point. You can sue them, but I would not advocate chasing them with a civil action. It is fraud, let the police chase the rogue and have them charged.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.