Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a lease with the local council a 21 by 21 year lease…

Customer Question
I have a lease...

I have a lease with the local council a 21 by 21 year lease it is due next Monday, I engaged a lawyer in April last year to sort out a lot of problems that the council have done over the last 21 years i.e altered the size of the site contrary to the lease , sent me a bill for 3 years public risk insurance and will not give new lease until I pay it, I gave my lawyer the paperwork for that 12 months ago and he did nothing, he has $20k of my old age pension money in his trust account. Can I delay the signing o the new lease when I get it to get another lawyer to ague it for me as on the past performance of this council it will be against me. Laurie

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not under stand?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I have had an issue with them over rent, they altered from $2 per m2 to 7% of land value [their value] they said before I leased it they would sell it once the bought it off the crown. In 2011 the let some one build on the land the had taken off me [2 m] off front, it is hard to explain all, I am not a typist but a 85 year old bloke.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/4/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
Well the issue is, most leases do not continue unless insurance is covered sadly.
This appears to be the only sticking point does it not?
The variations as to the lease may well be within the scope of the arrangement sadly.
Do you have the original lease? Or any other documentation I can look at?

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.