Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My brother in law has written a book.He has not told the…

Customer Question
My brother in law...

My brother in law has written a book.He has not told the family,but gave it to my 25 year old son with the words (Enjoy) and his authors signature.The book is about my husbands parents and his siblings and him.He has changed their names but has written very personal things about them and there families. It is published and on sale. I have rang him without my husband knowing to discuss the oh so personal details.He said ,it's non fiction I can do what I like. Is there any sort of legal or thoughts on this ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, because the book was published in 2013 and know one new about it until February this year when he gave the book to my son .

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not really

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/3/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello

Are the statements true and correct?

If yes, then sadly, notwithstanding how hurtful they are, not much can be done.

If they are false and defamatory, sadly, the issue is that the 12 month limitation period from the date of publication has been exhausted and thus the limitation period to sue is well out of time.

In any event, the names have changed, it would be enough to cover him being sued for the most part anyway.

I wish I could give better news but cannot provide false hope that leads to false hope.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.