Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Unauthorised hecs bill will be taken out of my tax

Customer Question
Unauthorised hecs bill will...

Unauthorised hecs bill will be taken out of my tax assessment

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

QLD

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Tax assessment not filed but have made inquiries with ATO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I didn't sign up

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

It is not unauthorised.

When you join the HELP program you agree that once your income is over a certain limit the ATO can withdraw the HELP amount by instalments from your Tax.

You will be charged a HELP amount annually

Here is how it is calculated

When do I have to repay my HELP debt?

You have to start repaying your HELP debt through the taxation system once your repayment income is above the compulsory repayment threshold, even if you are still studying. The compulsory repayment threshold is adjusted each year. The compulsory repayment threshold for the 2015-2016 income year is $54,126 and the compulsory repayment threshold for the 2016-2017 income year is $54,869.

Repayment income is calculated from the amounts given on your income tax return for:

• your taxable income;
  • reportable fringe benefits (reported on your payment summary);
  • total net investment loss (which includes net rental loss);
  • reportable super contributions; and
  • exempt foreign employment income amounts.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/payingbackmyloan/loan-repayment/pages/loan-repayment

So by signing up you have agreed to them taking the money.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards