Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We broke down in qid, we are in RACV roadside assist and…

Customer Question
Hi , we broke...

Hi , we broke down in qid, we are in RACV roadside assist and they helped us bu sending a tow truck and putting us up and giving us a hire car. Unfortunatly we had trouble with the part, a shock absorber for a B M W 7 series so we elected to have it recovered to victoria. which is part of their service, unfortunatly during that recovery the underneath fuel tank was damaged which will cost in excess of 5000 dollars to fix. we conracted racv and they put us on to the towing company who denied any liability , so we again contacted racv,( we thought we were dealing withracv when we were dealing with the tow truck company) they have further investigated and find that it is not their responsibility and that it happened when we broke down. THe mechanics in Pittsworth who looked after the car when we were trying to get it fixed said that there was no damage to the fuel tank when it left them, and our mechanic in bairnsdale noticed it as soon as the car was delivered, he heard the car scraping on the ground as they drove it into his garage. We dontknow what to do as racv have now denied ir was their fault. We were very well looked after by their total care, but dont know what to do now as we now have a damaged car that we have already spent 600 dollars fixing in qld

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Tthe car is in victoria, the car is a 1997 B M W but it has been well looked after and is running beautifully except for the bolt that broke causing the shock absorber damage, we did buy one from perth but it was electrical not the one needed for our car

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

We can get one from germany but because we were in qld because our daughter was in hospital we decided to get the car brought back to victoria because their was to much stress around , we thought we would deal with it when we came home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what we can do as racv has just told us that they are not responsible, they have contacted racq about some of the damage but we just wanted to know where we go from here

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Evening

Who damaged the fuel tank?

We believe the carrier when they brought it back from qld. because the mechanic in qld said that there was no damage under the car when the worked on the shock absorber, they had it all ready for the new one that we had ordered from perth. when it arived we were tols it was the wrong one, we tried to source another one in australia, but couldnt find one. we then decided to have the car brought back to victoria because we had a number of other stressful issues to deal with and we decided to leave the car until we returned 8 weeks later
no. Are you with the ombudsman or have I been diverted to someone else

Good Afternoon

You will need to get something from the QLD mechanic to confirm this.

We are solicitors not the ombudsman.

There is no ombudsman for this matter.

You have offered to pay a sum for legal advise. If you do not wish to proceed let me know and I will arrange you are refunded.

We have a letter from the Queensland mechanic but I have a number of lawyers in the family and I was on the ombudsman web page so thank you for your time

Good Evening

All the best.

Regards