Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What legal action can I do if a previous house mate refuses…

Customer Question
What legal action can...

What legal action can I do if a previous house mate refuses to pay then rent and bills he owes (around 700$)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Perth australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I didn't think I could make a report because he isn't on the lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I tried to talk to his parents to sort it out and they have filed a report to police saying I was intimidating them for money, they are also paying for my ex house mates plane ticket to get out of the country. ( I just want what I'm owed and was very polite when I went to his parents house) he also has a methamphetamine addiction if that helps

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/1/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

You have to sue him

Send him a letter of demand and ask for the money and if he fails to pay in 14 days then sue him.

The following link provides you with the steps in WA

https://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/debt-recovery-small-claims-procedure-wa/

You would not use a solicitor as it will cost you more than $700.00 you have to do this yourself in court.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards