Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I hit a car in the back with my car, causing damage which I…

Customer Question
I hit a car...

I hit a car in the back with my car, causing damage which I must pay for.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

In driving across three lanes of the Freeway to the emergency lane, the other driver drove into the concrete kerb, damaging his rear wheel and bending his steering column. He is insured, I am not. He and his insurance company are expecting me to pay for the damage to his steering alignment which will be expensive. This damage was not directly caused by me. Am I liable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Sorry - this is in Victoria, Australia. My car is a Nissan X-trail, 2007. I don't yet know what his car is. He has reported the accident to his insurance company, Allianz. I have not reported it to anyone except the tow truc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/28/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

The question is, are you saying that you did not cause him to lose control and move across the 3 lanes?

I ran into him. He was in control and drove off to the emergency lane, as I did. I injured the panel on the back of his car, but that did not interfere with his driving. You could argue that he was in shock, as I was. But does that make me liable?

It is going to be difficult to prove it was not caused by you.

I don't want to pay more. (I'm very much out of pocket already over this). Can you give me your opinion online?
I think I was the occasion of it, but there is no doubt that he caused it. It could be said that he was in shock, leading him to misjudge the nearness of the concrete barrier, but is that legally my fault?
I would so much rather pay only for the damage I caused to the rear of his car, and let his insurance cover the axle.
If he had driven off the freeway over a culvert and written his car off, would I be liable for all that?
Have you anything further to say? Without being rude, I don't feel I have had my $112 worth. This is the first time I have used this service.

Good Afternoon,

If you can show that there has been negligence on their part you may be able to reduce the total cost by certain percentage. But generally the courts will find that any damage would have been as a result of the collision with you.

You have to take into account the speed and the results of your collision.

I would negotiate with the insurer to try and reach an agreement but if it is to go to court I believe that you will be found liable for 100% unless you can provide an expert report that would show he caused damage due to his own negligence.