Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can i withdraw a police statement if i don't want to give…

Customer Question
Can i withdraw a...

Can i withdraw a police statement if i don't want to give evidence

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Victoria, and 2 days ago for a breach of ivo

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont believe so yet, i told the police id like to go in to change it but upon further thought i dont want to go ahes. the officer told me to come and see him on tuesday and that he wouldnt arest him until next week. does he have to stand by that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that hes on a good behaviour bond currently and i encouaged him to come here and it was amicable

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon,

unfortunately no. If the police are relying on your statement to prosecute the matter, they will not allow you to withdraw it and they will issue you with the subpoenaed to appear and give evidence.

You can discuss the issue with the police officer, but in the end it is up to the prosecutor whether or not they will permit you to draw your statement.

If you are encouraged a person a good behaviour bond to approach you, and his Bond says that he cannot approach you then you should clearly indicate this to the police and it should be in your statement.

But it is a question for the police to determine whether or not they will permit you to withdraw your statement.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards