Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can a sporting association retain my personal credit card…

Customer Question
Hello, Can a...

Hello, Can a sporting association retain my personal credit card details on their online web site for future use?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I am from WA but the Association deals with every State with their web site database. This began 2015.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not sure as the concern is each time I use my credit card to purchase things with the Association it automatically comes up and I never have to type in number. My concern is if this is legal and what security they have in place to protect my personal details?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

It is not legal to keep personal credit card details unless you consent to them doing so.

It is a breach if they keep them and use the details without your consent.

Thank you ***** guess everyone will need to read the terms and conditions of joining the association, however, you can not join unless you agree to the terms and conditions. The Association will not allow any other form of payment only a credit card. So they have us all over a barrel.

Good Morning

Yes that is correct.

They have to be careful and read the fine print closely. That goes with everything.

If they choose to do so they have to comply with the legislation

If they dont they can be sued

https://legalvision.com.au/what-is-the-pci-dss/

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards