Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have a family member in a rental property who does not…

Customer Question
We have a family...

We have a family member in a rental property who does not have a written agreement. We issued a letter by post in early June to vacate by the end of November. The family member ceased paying rent from the day they received the letter. How do we get them out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

Because they have stopped paying rent you have a right now to issue them with a notice to bring the rent up to date in 7 days or they will be evicted. If they do not bring it up todate then you have to go to QCAT and get the eviction notice. Here is the link that explains it in more detail and you can download the form 11

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Rent-and-other-bills/Nonpayment-of-rent

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards