Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Looking for information on how a strata committee proves…

Customer Question
Hey there, looking...

Hey there, looking for information on how a strata committee proves that smoke is drifting into neighbouring lots?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes they have sent me two letters of warning but they don't say anything in them about how it is drifting in

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Main thing I would like to know is do they need to prove the smoke is drifting into their lots? as I dont smoke very often and have a large hedge around my courtyard, so find it very hard to believe that my smoke is affecting them

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/26/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

There is no such information. The neighbours can smell it and make a complaint is enough.

What is the issue?

Hi, just text will be fine
The issue is I don't think the neighbours can smell it given where they are situated, one can see my smoking. I want to know if they need to prove it?

It is not illegal for you to smoke in your home or in your yard.

If they want to say it is entering the neighbouring property they would need some evidence and it would be enough for the neighbours to complain.

There is no law that says how they have to prove it.

But it is not illegal for you to smoke.

Ok, thank you I'm aware they can't stop me from smoking but I was more concerned with being taken to the tribunal to attempt to issue a fine, whether they needed some sort of evidence.

The tribunal will not issue a fine it is not illegal.

On what basis will they take you to the tribunal. Is there a by-law that says you cannot smoke?

No but there's a bi law stating the drifting smoke is a nuisance that came into affect last November which breaches the bi law?

Good afternoon

What exactly does the by-law say?

They are not by laws sorry...Its the Strata law that came into effect last November stating that drifting smoke was considered a hazard or a nuisance so its breaching the strata law where you cannot affect the peace and enjoyment of another occupant

Here is the standard by-law. If they have not opted for A or B then A applies

9 Smoke penetration

Note.

Select option A or B. If no option is selected, option A will apply.

Option A

(1) An owner or occupier, and any invitee of the owner or occupier, must not smoke tobacco or any other substance on the common property.

(2) An owner or occupier of a lot must ensure that smoke caused by the smoking of tobacco or any other substance by the owner or occupier, or any invitee of the owner or occupier, on the lot does not penetrate to the common property or any other lot.

Option B

(1) An owner or occupier of a lot, and any invitee of the owner or occupier, must not smoke tobacco or any other substance on the common property, except:

(a) in an area designated as a smoking area by the owners corporation, or

(b) with the written approval of the owners corporation.

(2) A person who is permitted under this by-law to smoke tobacco or any other substance on common property must ensure that the smoke does not penetrate to any other lot.

(3) An owner or occupier of a lot must ensure that smoke caused by the smoking of tobacco or any other substance by the owner or occupier, or any invitee of the owner or occupier, on the lot does not penetrate to the common property or any other lot.

If there is a complaint from an adjoining owner you have a problem but the other issue is that if you smoke outside it is a breach because it would drift onto common property.

If they choose not to adopt it at all and have a meeting to that effect then the common law of nuisance applies as it has in the past.

So you have to watch that no neighbour complains This would be the proof they need.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards