Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a designer bag on Ebay and the seller stated that…

Customer Question
Hi. I bought a...

Hi. I bought a designer bag on Ebay and the seller stated that the bag is authentic if not then full refund. I received the bag and i looked at it thoroughly and it does look authentic. But i decided to sell the bag cos it was not suitable for me (it was not a convenient everyday bag). I assumed the bag is authentic therefore I didnt ask for a refund from the seller. Now, I I listed the bag on facebook and I do include the wod "authentic" in the listing. I then sold this bag to this girl and before I sold it to her, we met up and I let her inspected the bag for 30 mins. After that, she agreed and she paid cash. Few days after (today), she insist to me that the bag is fake. She gave me random websites/blogs from the internet comparing the real bag and the fake bag. I gave her random websites and blogs as well to proof that it's not fake. I figured this is stupid as we relying on websites which are made by people not actual authenticators. So i told her that we should just go to an LV store and authenticate the bag. At first she kept saying that "she did authenticate it", but I told her she authenticated it through random websites on the internet, and that's not an actual authentication. But now I just called the LV store and turns out they dont do authentication. I dont know what else to do now. I dont want her to return the bag just because she "thinks" it's fake. As far as Im concern, the onus is on the buyer to show proof that the bag is fake isnt it? Cos I know that's the case with Paypal transcations, and moreover, the proof should be done by a professional. Is that true?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Victoria. She purchased the bag from me Last Wednesday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. But she said she wants to report to the police

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

You should never assume anything with you buy things form ebay.

You have to be careful because if she reports it to the police and it is fake you can be charged.

I would suggest you take it back and have it verified yourself and if it is fake then you get your money back. It is not a fight you want to have with the police.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards