Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

L am a visual artist working as a sole trader. I recently…

Customer Question
My name is***** l...

My name is***** l am a visual artist working as a sole trader. I recently completed a mural for a new resturaunt that is opening up. Upon presenting them with the invoice for the work (which matches my quote, they started to say they were disatisfied with the work. They had viewed the work before this, at which point they only said one persons nose could have been wider and that there could have been more detail in a darkened door way, to which l said " l had already added more detail than there was previously. These two items are extremely small. The mural is 4 x 14 metres in diameter. I offered a discount of $200 for these things. this all took place on 16.09.17. some texting back and forth took place at this time, where things became heated. I thought some time out might help the situation, so l left it for 6 days. At first the wife indicated via text that she would pay at the end of the legal time even though we had a verbal agreement that they would pay at the end of the job. When l offered the discount to the husband, he said he did not want a discount and would review my invoice before making an offer. I texted him after 6 days to see where he is at with this, he said he would consider it that night, l did not hear from him so contacted him again at the end of the following at which time he said he would get back to me some time next week. He keeps shifting dates so l said via text that he's had enough time and that l would only be willing to wait until Tuesday of next week and that if l did not hear from him that my current invoice issued stands and would be payable by 16.10.17. He had previously threatened me with legal action, so l said, if l don't receive payment by that date l would be seeking legal assistance to retrieve the funds. My question is- do l have a case here? I only had a very basic quote stating "mural at*****..." and only had a verbal contract stating it was to be of a street scene as in a wall with a lane way leading off from this street scene. I quickly did some mock ups where we agreed upon 3 shop fronts and 4 people to be included. They changed their minds continiously throughout the job, l accommodated this a lot...weeks of work proceeded, l eventually asked for a list of final changes at which point l said it would be finished once these were done, which l did. They are saying it's not finished and that they are seeking someone else to finish the work. Do l need to wait until 16.10.17 before l apply to VCAT? Or can l apply now if it is the best coarse of action for me to take? I fear they will take legal action against me, from conversations along the way l gather they are letigious people, l have been working as an artist for 30 years and have never had an issue before, so am very new to this process.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that l know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only if there is anything l have left out that could help. Is there a fee for this service please?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

How much is the final cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Thanks l will proceed. How do l pay?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/24/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Email is fine, thank you.
I stilll choose email

Good Morning

What is the legal time you are referring to?

Where is this date set out?
Have you agreed with them for them to pay on 16/10/17

The legal time is something the wife said to me via text. I tried asking what she meant by thisbut she replied she would not be speaking to me again and her husband accused me of harrassing his wife, so l did not ask again. I am the one who proposed that if l did not hear from them with an amount they are happy to pay that my initial invoice would stand payable at 16.10.17.

Good Afternoon

So you said they have to the 16 October 2017 to pay the account?

Was the agreement in writing for the work?

The date was set out in text message, that has been our main source of communication.

Good Afternoon

So you set the date?

Initially we had agreed that payment would be at the end of the job verbally, but then she said she would pay at the "legal time" and l should also say l put on the invoice initially "please pay at your earliest convenience" was trying to be nice at that point. at the end of the last conversation l said pay on 16.10.19.

Good Afternoon

You send them a letter demanding payment by that date as that is what you agreed.

If thy do not pay by that date then you sue.

I hope the agreement was in writing for the work.

The following link is the process to follow.

https://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/debt-recovery-small-claims-procedure-vic/

So send the letter now and then if they dont pay then sue.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Also at the end of the job, l got him to view the work at which time he seemed satisfied and said he would send a cheque, which sounded like it was going to happen immediately. All these other interactions happened once l sent my invoice.
Just checking, are you still there?
Thank you for your response. I sent the invoice and the initial quote via email and then we communicated via text messages. Do these modes of communication count in a legal case?

Good Afternoon

Yes emails are legal and you can rely on texts.

You have to document it all and let the court know what happens so it shows you did everything correctly

Thank you. By document do you mean putting it in say letter form with a list of what occurred when with references to texts, emails and conversations in quotation marks?Just want to get it right. Also it is ok to send a letter of demand now even though the final due date has not occurred yet? And on the letter of demand should it actually state "letter of demand". I have downloaded a template of this from the Arts law page you sent me, again just want to do things the correct way.

Good Afternoon

In the letter you demand your money.

The history etc will have to be set out in the court action.

So I would suggest you start doing it now so you have it ready.

You send the letter of demand setting out the due date and informing them you will be taking action and charing interest if the money is not paid.

If you do not want to be aggressive now send the letter with the invoice and confirm the arrangement that they will pay on the 16 October 2017. If they don't then send the letter of demand and give them 14 days and sue if they fail.