Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can a caviet on a house with two ownership be carried out…

Customer Question
Can a caviet on...

Can a caviet on a house with two ownership be carried out without the knowledge of the other

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In victoria melbourne

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes on one of the house owner

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is basicly what I want to know if the court can proceed an order to sell the house without the other owners knowlrdge

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/23/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly.

Kind regards

Dear customer, caveats are a form of a statutory injunction and may only be lodged by persons who have an estate interest in land.

In relation to your question, a sale may still proceed while a caveat is lodged against the title, however, settlement will not be able to be completed if the caveat is not removed.

A party cannot confer a right under contract to lodge a caveat where no caveatable interest exists. However, if there is a proprietary right created through contract, which creates an interest in land a caveat can be registered against that land.

A caveatable interest is a proprietary interest. In Municipal District of Concord v Coles (1906) the court held: it is only a person who has a legal or equitable interest in land, partaking of the character of an estate in it or equitable claim to it, who can lodge a caveat.

Considering this point another way. An existing proprietary interest at law or in equity will support both the lodgement and extension of a caveat, whereas a straight contractual right will be insufficient. The legal and equitable interest must presently exist and not be a mere potentiality.

There needs to be no relationship between the registered proprietor and the interests of the caveator, all that is required to lodge a caveat is a legal or equitable interest in the property.

Once the caveat is lodged, it will remain in place until removed by the caveator or by order of the court.

Some examples of caveatable interests include:

1. A purchaser under a contract of sale.

2. A lender that finances a property.

3. A building contract which contains a charging clause for a caveat but this claim is with risk.

4. An option to purchase or repurchase land supported by valuable consideration.

5. A caveat may be lodged pursuant to an implied trust.

6. A caveat may be lodged pursuant to a constructive trust.

7. Personal representatives of a deceased estate have a right to lodge a caveat to protect the estate.

Caveats may be lodged under a range of claims, but caution must apply because wrongly lodging a caveat can destroy a registered proprietor’s right to deal with the land in the way that party requires. And in order to protect registered proprietors, a party that wrongly lodges a caveat without reasonable cause, the registered proprietor will be able to bring a claim against that party for compensation and damages sustained.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Please don't forget to leave positive feed back.

Kind regards

John Melis, Lawyer