Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm in a relationship that is ending .I'm wanting to get…

Customer Question
I'm in a relationship...

I'm in a relationship that is ending .I'm wanting to get out.have 2 children13 and 16.we a house that is paid off.the house is in her name.what am I entitled to

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

A couple of years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I have to leave home

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/22/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

It is not a simple one to answer as there is no strict formula.

The law will apply the following 4 steps and because the children are still under 18 if they live with her then she will get more than 50%

Step 1: Determine what the assets are and their value

This will include all assets and their value as at the day that you are dividing them. It does not matter whose name the assets are in, they will form part of the matrimonial pool. Superannuation entitlements are also included.

Step 2: Determine what contributions you and your Husband made towards the assets.

This includes a consideration of both financial and non-financial contributions. Consideration is given to what assets each of you brought into the marriage as well. The weight given to your initial contribution will be dependent upon the length of your relationship. The longer the relationship the less weight given to the initial contribution.

Step 3: What are each of your future needs.

Consideration is given to your respective ages, your comparitive income earning capacity as well as other factors.

IF these things don't balance equally for each spouse, then an adjustment is made in the percentages.

Step 4: Make an order that is just and equitable between both spouses

It does not matter is the house is in her name it will be split with everything else

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards