Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Do i need to be personally attending a testament-will

Customer Question
Do i need to...

Do i need to be personally attending a testament-will announcement to become the beneficiary or can i be absent as well ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

NT

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Birth certificate, passport ...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
To give you additional information: My father recently passed away. He is Austrian and lived in Austria. I am he's only son and i live in Australia as Australian citizen. Do i have to go to Austria to receive will entitlements or can i stay in Australia to become the beneficiary.
9/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly.

Kind regards

Dear customer, were you are named as a beneficiary in the will, you can engage a solicitor in Australia to act on your behalf to communicate with a solicitor in Austria to ensure that you receive the proper entitlements under your fathers will.

You may also engage a solicitor directly in Austria to act for you.

Where you are not named under the will as a beneficiary, you will need to engage a solicitor in Austria, whether directly or through an Australian solicitor acting on your behalf to raise a family provision claim in accordance with the laws of Austria.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Kind regards