Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was recently involved (caught up) in a job scam. I was…

Customer Question
I was recently involved...

I was recently involved (caught up) in a job scam. I was contacted by email to fill a role as "Online Services Manager". I was sent a job application, and subsequently, an employment contract which I signed and returned. Initially, I was to serve a 5 day probationary period. The job required me providing Bpay details for one of my credit cards, for the purpose of dealing in Bitcoin - said to be the company's method of procurement and sales. The Company arranged a "Bitcoin Wallet" for me to initially acquire bitcoins using funds paid into my credit card using the Bpay details provided. With the first transaction, using $2400 deposited by the employer, I acquired the bitcoin, and then transferred the bitcoin to the Company as instructed. The payment to acquire the Bitcoin necessitated transferring the $2400 to the Seller's bank - which I did by withdrawing the money and dmaking the deposit in person using the BSB and account details provided by the seller. Task complete. The following day, My bank (their Digital Fraud division) informed me that my credit card had been used to launder stolen money from another account elsewhere. I explained my position, and co-operated fully by providing 80+ emails being the paper-trail for all that had occurred, as well as the transcript of messages between myself and the Bitcoin seller, as well as all receipts of transactions made by me using the funds provided by my "employer". I acted diligently, believing the job was real. My bank (Digital fraud division) has since declared that I am liable for the $2400 since I enabled the fraud. Can they enforce this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only with the bank

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The credit card was blocked and a replacement card ordered. It has not been activated.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/22/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

They defrauded you by taking $2,400.00 from your credit card?