Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What is the procedure and how do l declare myself bankrupt?

Customer Question
What is the procedure...

What is the procedure and how do l declare myself bankrupt ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

NSW, and let me add - Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No, just notices from the ANZ Bank as well as their Lawyer firms [Gadens]

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/21/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

You have to complete a Debtors Petition.

Here is the link from AFSA and you can download the document and the instruction sheet.

If you wish to think about it and stop any actions you can serve them with a notice of intention.

Here is the link for that. It will buy you 21 days.

https://www.afsa.gov.au/insolvency/i-cant-pay-my-debts/what-declaration-intention-present-debtors-petition-doi

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards