Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have told my agent that I will not allow photos to be

Customer Question
I have told my...

I have told my agent that I will not allow photos to be taken inside my house, except of course damage. they are telling me that is how they show the owner everything is ok and I have stated that I will not allow it. I have been told previous that they are not allowed to do this without my specific agreement. Is this the case

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, this is a new tenancy, It is not in the lease and I accidently found out this was the way they do things

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Apparently I have to allow the owner to accompany the agent if they want to when they do an inspection. Is this correct

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/19/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning,

Generally in New South Wales the real estate agents take photographs of the premises as evidence of its condition. This is in addition to the inspection report that is completed upon entering the tenancy and then at the end of the tenancy to compare the state and condition of each room. This report is signed by the tenant and the agent is confirmation of agreement.

It is not unreasonable to take photos and if you wish to fight them, you will need to go to NCAT. you can restrict the taking photos to carpets and walls but you cannot refuse outright.

Also you should be present at all times during the inspection and not allow them to do the inspection without you being there. The report I mentioned earlier should also be completed and signed by the landlord's representative (the real estate agent) and the tenant.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

That does not answer my question sorry. When they do a six monthly inspection can I refuse them taking photos inside my premises as I cannot control what happens to those photos once they leave. eg: social media etc. There is also the fact that it demonstrates what furniture/assets I have and photos of family members on walls etc. I am also a defence member and this could become a security problem. I have been told previously by the tenancy tribunal that without my specific ok, they are not allowed.

Good Morning

I'm sorry to say but you cannot refuse them taken photos of the condition of the premises.

You can request that they only take photos of the room in general but not close-ups. You should also have them confirm in writing, that they will not use the photos that any other purpose than to show the landlord the state and condition of the house.

As it is only a six-month inspection and not the end of the lease, I suggest that you file an urgent application with NCAT and seek orders to restrict the agent in what he takes photos of based on your concerns.

Leon, Solicitor