Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am living in Queensland and would like a copy of my

Customer Question
I am living in...

I am living in Queensland and would like a copy of my mothers will. She lived in Victoria and died in 1993. I have two older sisters both estranged from me, so asking them is not possible. I do know that my mother left her house and contents to all three of us, one sister still lives there. It is not my intention to turn her out of the house. I have no record as to who my mothers solicitors were at the time of her death.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My mother lived in Victoria and her will was lodged there in 1993.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My understanding is that there were no problems with it, if that is what you mean by ' filed '. Shortly after her death my sisters and I heard the terms at the solicitors office.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No there is nothing else. I would simply like to have a copy.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/19/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

Wills are not registered in Australia.

If probate was applied for on her death then you can contact the Supreme Court of Victoria and request a copy of the probate and it will have a copy of the will attached.

There is a fee for the copy.

http://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/

They may ask you to complete an application and pay a fee but they will provide you with a copy of the probate.

If you recall the solicitor then you can also contact them and ask for a copy but if it is more than 5 years they may no longer have the file as they are not required to keep them.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards