Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a paypal account, and was recently asked to verify my…

I have a paypal...

I have a paypal account, and was recently asked to verify my account and confirm my identity. I was told that it was a requirement by the Australian government, designed to stop money laundering.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Can you tell me if this is true? I live in victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have given them some details.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it true or a hoax?

9/19/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Evening

It is done to confirm you are who your are.

They comply with the Australian Financial regulations meaning they need the 100 points. If you cannot be verified then they assume you are not who you say you are and there are restriction on the account.

It is to confirm you identity and avoid worldwide money laundering.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Is it random or is every paypal account holder required to do this?

They do it for everyone

If you do not provide the details then they can lock the account and not allow you to withdraw money.

Leon, Solicitor