Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What are the legal differences between marriage and a de…

What are the legal...

What are the legal differences between marriage and a de facto relationship?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I just want some background information on the legal differences (rights) between marriage and de facto relationships.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

9/18/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

With a marriage the only evidence you need to provide is a marriage certificate. That is proof that you are married.

With a defacto the proof required is much greater.

The family law act section 4AA sets out what the law applies

Here is a link that explains why it is not a simple thing to prove defacto.

http://familylaw.diamondconway.com.au/proving-a-de-facto-relationship-in-the-family-courts/

Where if you have a marriage certificate there is no argument. You are married.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor