Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have just recieved my electricity bill, I emptied my mail…

Customer Question
Good Morning, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good Morning,

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have just recieved my electricity bill , I emptied my mail box on Friday 15 th , The due date on the bill is 13 september , I have spoken to energy australia and they are refering me to the post office?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have a number of querries , unfortunately my computor skills are nt that good so please bear with me , 1. My bill has increase this quater from $700.00 to $2,770.00. My wife and I are the only occupants of this house we have no electric heating or air conditioning , our cooking is done by gas. We fail to understnd how a bill can increase by so much if no additional electricity is used , I have tried to talk to the company and get fobbed off with ,"well the meter said" Do I have any redress or some action I could take besides changing suppliers? I live in NSW , Macmasters Beach on the central coast..

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have just opened the bill and attempted to have a conversation with the answering service of the company. obviously , didn't end well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No , just these two matters.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/17/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

No email is fine

Good Morning

I am sorry to hear about this and it is a common issue.
They will not assist you and they will simply rely on the metre.

In the past have they always read the metre and can you check your previous account and see how many kilowatts you were using compared to this account?

Are all the previous accounts actual readings or estimates?

I will have to go back to my accounts and check , but nothing on the account says there is additional charges from the previous quarter all my previous bills have been around the $700.00 mark

Good Morning

They do not say there are backpayments.

You need to check and see if the previous accounts are actual or estimated readings.

What about the kilowatt usage in the previous bills compared to this one?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor