Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Oh I was just wondering what the penalty is for selling

Customer Question
Oh hey! I was...

Oh hey! I was just wondering what the penalty is for selling counterfeit goods in Australia is, even if I didn't know they were counterfeit? Have there been any previous cases on this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had a bag on Facebook and a lady is going crazy saying she's working with Facebook on the selling of counterfeit goods but I didn't know and now she's saying I'm going to get a legal letter in the mail and should seek legal council

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was on Facebook market place. I'm just worried. I'm not sure if she's legitimate or not so I want to understand how bad this could get.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/17/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor
Hello, you are not carrying on a business of selling such goods. For all you know the item was genuine. At worst she can ask for a refund or attempt to sue you, however you have a defence that you thought it was genuine.Do not be too concerned, it is not a criminal matter, but a civil one where they can seek compensation of they do wish.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.