Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a very difficult situation ,my father is in hospital…

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very difficult situation ,my father is in hospital with dementia ,dads girlfriend 3 adult children have enduring guardianship , and are not letting me and my sister see him ,he wants to live with me but guardians are saying he is going back to old house with partner and carer ,can u help ,I have lodged review forms with ncat ,is there anything else I can do , the hospital call me to settle him I am very concerned when he leaves hospital with no contact from me his health will decline ,I am beside myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes a few

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How can this be changed before he gets discharged from hospital or put on notice, they won't let me know when he will be discharged , he has been siting in chair packed and waiting for me to pick him up for 7 hrs now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/17/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

My apology for the delay in responding.

You have a right to see him as his children and if they refuse you access you will have to take the matter to NCAT.

What you have done is correct.

An order from NCAT will fix the issue.

Did they get the Guardianship through NCAT or your father. If from your father, did he have the mental capacity at the time? If not then it is invalid and you should be fighting it on that basis and also have his doctors confirm it.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards