Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wife and I built a house on our land 32+ years ago and…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I built a house on our land 32+ years ago and now the land has changed hands ,although we have a long term agreement my question is this legal EG WHEN I DIE MY WIFE HAS TO LEAVE THE PROPERTY 3 MONTHS AFTER MY DEATH .Ihave had a double lung transplant and a heart bypass 5+ years a go and when sighned the agreement I was end stage of my life .But with transplant Iam doing ok ...(touch wood)c....help

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont know ,Not with our side it has,nt

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Most of the contracts and changing of the deeds were when I was having transplant and my brother was the one that said Icould live here before my death and my wife after I pass .but when it was sold wefind out that My wife doesn't have the right to stay here for the rest of her natural life .They said Isighned some papers bit Icant remember because of the end of liufe thing Iwas going through and my brother did shake my hand and say WE would never have to move ,in front of our splicitors .Iknow its been a long time but the new owners have only just moved back and now the are dropping hints like they could kicks us out of the house we built

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/16/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

My apology for the delay I was away from my desk.

Is the agreement in writing and if so what does it say about sale of the land?

Do they have a copy of the papers and have they given you a copy?

Is your brother prepared to give evidence on what the agreement between you and him was, I assume he was the previous land owner?