Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is a storm water drain easement on the property ok? does it…

Customer Question
Hi, is a storm...

Hi, is a storm water drain easement on the property ok? does it cause a problem in valuation of the property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I signed the contract before the property was registered and got to know of the storm water drain after settlement

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/15/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly.

Kind regards

Dear customer, a storm water drain is an easement. Where an easement is not disclosed in the contract sale (section 52 statement) and the property has not settlement, there will be a right of rescission under the contract by the purchaser for failure of the vendor to disclose the easement.

There are procedures to rescind the contract and careful attention to this process is required.

Where the contract has settled, meaning all monies are paid, there will be no right of claim against the vendor cancel the contract. However, there may be an argument for misleading and deceptive conduct against the vendor or their agent for failure to disclosure the easement.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Kind regards