Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been contacted by nrma who advise that i am not

Customer Question
covered for any repairs for...
I have been contacted by nrma who advise that i am not covered for any repairs for my leaking pipe only the replacement carpet. This bas been going on for nearly two month and now they advise thay i have to find my own contractor.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/15/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

Who do you have building insurance with?

Nrma
I have been a member for forty years. I think i am entitled to better service

Good Morning

I agree with you and I am very surprised.

The only document that you can rely on is the Product Disclosure Document.

If you do not have it then ask them for a copy and also ask them to direct you to where in the document it says you are not covered for a leaking water pipe.

I am having a look at various policies and they say if you have a burst pipe you are covered.

Why are they saying you are not covered?

Have they said it has been ongoing and you failed to maintain?

The following is from their website

Rust, corrosion and wet or dry rot can mean that you have too much moisture in your home. It’s important to fix these issues as they come up.

Your claim might not be covered if regular maintenance hasn’t been carried out.

Tips:

• Set up a regular maintenance program for your property
  • Look out for signs of excess moisture – for example, mould, water stains, rust and bubbling paint or wallpaper
  • Find the cause of the excess moisture

If you’re not sure, ask a building specialist to help you.

https://www.nrma.com.au/home-insurance-claims-am-i-covered

I suspect that in this case there should have been some sign of a problem and they would allege you ignored it.

Has the plumber indicated what happened and the cause of the leak?

I have the product disclosure booklet. It says that I am covered for leaking pipes. it also says costs to locate the cause of
damage. (if we agree to pay these costs before you make any arrangements. The cause of the leak has not been found.
I have had a plumber come to locate it, but he could only locate the pipes.

Good Afternoon

Have they given the reason for no covering them?

You have a right to request a review of the claim and if they refuse again then take the matter to the ombudsman for their determination.

I see that the disclosure says if they agree to pay the costs, but depending on circumstances this may not be practical.

As I said you ask them to review the claim and give them as much information as you have if they again do not approve it then lodge an application with the ombudsman. You will need a letter from the plumber about the issues with the pipes.