Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have an ex employee who gave himself access to my computer

Customer Question

I have an ex employee who gave himself access to my computer without my knowledge - he did our IT and I have only just discovered this. Is there any action I can take against him?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I have just discovered that my search history appears on his computer, and I also believe that he channelled my emails to go through his account somehow so that he was privy to my correspondence, bank details, company banking etc
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He no longer works for us
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

What does his contract say about using private information of the business?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the section regarding Confidentiality from our company induction:CONFIDENTIALITY
During the normal course of employment and day to day business you will be receiving and handling documentation and information concerning the
business of the Company. All such documents and materials should be perceived and handled as con dential. It is the duty of all employees to preserve such information in the best interest of the Company and any disclosure to third parties is strictly forbidden unless with prior authority, this could lead to immediate termination and legal action.Is this enough for me to move forward with legal proceedings against him?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

Has he used the information and provided them to third parties or used the information to benefit his own business?