Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am being threatened by a debt collection agency (CCC

Customer Question

I am being threatened by a debt collection agency (CCC Financial Solutions) for an outstanding amount from SilverChef which I do not agree with. in 2014 I hired cafe equipment from SilverChef for a business that failed. Delivery costs to my shop were $525, at the end of the contract the equipment was returned in original condition, and I was told I owed $1600 for return delivery and cleaning. I had assumed that this would be covered by the bond of $835 but was unable to get a breakdown of costs in the final invoice, or discuss it with anyone at Silverchef. Could return delivery for the exact same distance have been three times more? I could have bought the equipment outright for an additional $300, as quoted, and sold it on ebay. They should have warned me that the bond would not cover return delivery and cleaning. I couldn't discuss this with anyone at SilverChef who referred the matter directly to CCC who have now told me that this will effect my credit rating. A phone call this morning from CCC was very aggressive and threatening, telling me I refused to negotiate because I am unable to pay off this unreasonable debt. I am currently barely surviving week to week on Centrelink payments and am currently trying to get a disability pension for a genetic condition.
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Victoria. The Silverchef contract was from 2014, I received my first notice from CCC at the end of 2015. I responded by email and thought the matter was closed until I spoke to them this morning. I also received a letter from them this morning.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Tried to, no luck. I was unable to discuss this with them at the time either
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know. I've never done this before, but I've never had my credit rating questioned either
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning

Do you have the agreement you signed when you hired the equipment? That should have set out everything and if you email it to me I can look at it and give you more details

the email address is***@******.***

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you please wait before you start deducting fees from my credit card? I don't know whether I will act on this and cannot afford payment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already received notice that the payment has been taken from my credit card. Could you please refund this amount as I am not going to proceed with your service.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning

I am not responsible for the funding side, You have offered to pay an amount and it is in your account weith Justanswer. When you accept my responses then I am paid.