Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am being threatened by a debt collection agency (CCC

Customer Question
I am being threatened...

I am being threatened by a debt collection agency (CCC Financial Solutions) for an outstanding amount from SilverChef which I do not agree with. in 2014 I hired cafe equipment from SilverChef for a business that failed. Delivery costs to my shop were $525, at the end of the contract the equipment was returned in original condition, and I was told I owed $1600 for return delivery and cleaning. I had assumed that this would be covered by the bond of $835 but was unable to get a breakdown of costs in the final invoice, or discuss it with anyone at Silverchef. Could return delivery for the exact same distance have been three times more? I could have bought the equipment outright for an additional $300, as quoted, and sold it on ebay. They should have warned me that the bond would not cover return delivery and cleaning. I couldn't discuss this with anyone at SilverChef who referred the matter directly to CCC who have now told me that this will effect my credit rating. A phone call this morning from CCC was very aggressive and threatening, telling me I refused to negotiate because I am unable to pay off this unreasonable debt. I am currently barely surviving week to week on Centrelink payments and am currently trying to get a disability pension for a genetic condition.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Victoria. The Silverchef contract was from 2014, I received my first notice from CCC at the end of 2015. I responded by email and thought the matter was closed until I spoke to them this morning. I also received a letter from them this morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Tried to, no luck. I was unable to discuss this with them at the time either

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know. I've never done this before, but I've never had my credit rating questioned either

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/13/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

Do you have the agreement you signed when you hired the equipment? That should have set out everything and if you email it to me I can look at it and give you more details

the email address is***@******.***

Could you please wait before you start deducting fees from my credit card? I don't know whether I will act on this and cannot afford payment
I have already received notice that the payment has been taken from my credit card. Could you please refund this amount as I am not going to proceed with your service.

Good Morning

I am not responsible for the funding side, You have offered to pay an amount and it is in your account weith Justanswer. When you accept my responses then I am paid.