Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Would like to ask a specific question regarding what rights

Customer Question

hi there!
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: would like to ask a specific question regarding what rights I can exercise as a victim to a cheating spouse in a de facto relationship
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I had planned to seek my family lawyer but I haven't yet done so as it's a tight nit community and due to the nature of the situation, I would only speak to him if I have some sort of case I thought maybe you could shed some light prior to me actually taking it further, if that makes sense :)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: how does this service work?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning

I do not have good news for you.

There is no claim for them cheating.

If the marriage is over you can make a claim for property and spousal maintenance. But you cannot sue for them cheating on you there is no compensation for that.

When you do apply for maintenance and a property split there is no compensation because it is no fault system.

The reason for the split does not come into consideration.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards