Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Just wondering where I stand with moving from Victoria to…

Customer Question
Just wondering where I...

Just wondering where I stand with moving from Victoria to Queensland and my furniture and personal belongings were damaged. I have reported it to the company and they just fob me off

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Was in Victoria and moved to Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just with the company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all for know. Thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Also some missing items
9/12/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

Did you have any insurance with the company?

What does the agreement you entered with them say about damage to goods?

Hi Leon. Sorry about the delay but I am doing this on behave of my daughter. She originally booked GTS removals and was quoted $4500 and she paid $1500 deposit. They then sub-contracted to Australian Backload Professionals. She did not know about this change in removalist until the day of removal where she contacted them to get a time for the removal. They responded that they were just leaving Brisbane that day and would not be in Melbourne until Sunday. As for taking out damage insurance she did not BUT most of the damaged was caused by water damage. Her sons clothes, her clothes, slat to the base of her bed, suit cases were all wet hence mouldy. Boxes that we packed were dry when they left her place but boxes had been upend into other boxes.
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago

Good Morning

What caused the water damage? Does she know what they did? It appears to be negligence and she may have a claim against them.

But she has to sue them in court.

What was the value of her losses?

Over $3000

She can sue them for the money in VCAT

https://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/case-types/goods-and-services

Rain caused the water damage

Good Afternoon

She has to argue they were negligent and because of their negligence the items were destroyed and she wants compensation.

This is her only option.

She should do this ASAP and provide evidence of how she calculated the sum.

it is not wroth using a solicitor she can do it herself

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards