Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Awyzio ?, W.A., I have a contract with" Telstra" using the…

Customer Question
Hello Deborah Awyzio ?, ...

Hello Deborah Awyzio ?,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

W.A.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a contract with " Telstra " using the DOT units, I had two telephone numbers, one for home and the other for our business. In November 2016 we sold the business, however the other party did not wish to keep the land line, so this left me with the contract, which runs through to July 2018, this of course means that I'm paying the monthly account for this service, however service no longer exists, the number has been disconnected ( I can't find out when ) . Should I still be paying for this service ???, regards, ***** *****

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/12/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

Deborah is not online at the moment.

How was the number disconnected?

Did you request it be disconnected?

The number was disconnected by Telstra by what ever means they use, as I said earlier I I don't know when this occurred ??
I did not request the disconnection be curse that would have required me to pay out the entire contract !!

Good Afternoon

Did they notify you of the disconnection?

If not and they have disconnected it you may have an argument that you should not be charged anymore.

They have terminated the contract not you.

Hello Leon, thank you for your reply. As far as i'm aware I was not notified of the disconnection, however I can not be 100% sure of that. I spoke with a chap from Telstra on Friday and he was either unable or unwilling to supply me with the date of disconnection. I am hopeful that we can reach a reasonable settlement, however I am dealing with Telstra !!!, I will keep you informed, regards, Glen.

Good Afternoon

If they cancelled it they cannot charge you

If they refuse to stop charging you then you can lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman

http://www.tio.com.au/

They can order you get a refund from the date they cancelled.