How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Melis Your Own Question
John Melis
John Melis,
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 526
Experience:  Principal Lawyer at Legal AU Pty Ltd
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
John Melis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have paid the sum of around $10,000 for a building job.The

Customer Question

I have paid the sum of around $10,000 for a building job.The builder doesn't want to give me a receipt. I have asked him orally, by email and in writing. Am I not entitled to a receipt?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Victoria. I paid by cheques.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This builder had left a big oily mark on a roller blind in our house. I sent him the bill after I had spoken with him and he doesn't want to know about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly.

Kind regards
John Melis

Expert:  John Melis replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer, in relation to your important matter, the builder is required to provide you a receipt for the works completed. Where the builder has failed to provide a receipt at your request, the next step is to have a solicitor's letter issued to that party requesting a receipt and raising a claim regarding the big oily mark that was left on the roller bling and seeking repair or damages on the same.

If you require assistance with drafting the letter please let me know and I would be pleased to assist you on the same.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Kind regards
John Melis