Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wife and I built a house in Durack Heights in 2014. We…

Customer Question
Hi, My wife and...

Hi, My wife and I built a house in Durack Heights in 2014. We paid power and Water to connect the house to water supply and sewerage connection, instructing then to send accounts to our property managers as tenants pay water usage. All finished we thought, In June we received and account from power and water apologising that they had never read the meter. The amount being approx $3600.00. They have declined to negotiate a settlement of either a discount due to the fact we cannot recover the amounts from previous tennants or a payment arrangement. Demanding the amount in full in 7 days or they will engage a debt recovery agent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The Northern Territory.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have had no further correspondence since they declined our offer of 50% payment to share equal responsibility for the errors that have occurred

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just after a legal opinion of what is our next step

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/12/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
In respect of the matter, they need to negotiate some form of settlement.

Them not reading any meter nor simply giving some form of notice is simply not good enough.
They stuffed up - in short.

They are in the business of providing this service, they need to be aware and take proactive steps so such things to not occur.

You have offered a sum to settle, they need to come back with a figure.

Make a complaint to the Ombudsman:
http://www.ombudsman.nt.gov.au/

I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.