Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done around

Customer Question

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done around transparency when booking accommodation only for airbnb?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I recently booked a place for a week over Christmas at Sapphire Beach North Coast - which cost over $5000. On completion of what I thought was a reservation process they demanded the full amount be paid 4 months out. When I spoke to someone from airbnb they said there was a process to pay this in stages especially as it was over the a 3 day period when naturally accommodation needs to paid in full. When we did not pay immediately the full amount we were sent this message "but your reservation may be cancelled if payment is not received promptly. If the reservation is cancelled, the cancellation policy will apply." the cancellation policy demanded over $2500 be paid. Yet custom service reiterated that it was possible to pay the amount at intervals - yet that was not transparent, nor a possibility at the time of booking? we are in NSW?
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Manufacturer?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have now paid the amount in full - but found the process threatening, lacking in transparency, and even deceitful.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.
Hello, 'not received promplty'
That alone is ambiguous at best.
At best, ***** ***** fee cannot be pursued , as th terms alone are not specifically outlined. Promptly can mean anything.
Sadly, such arrangements with airbnb are not governed by consumer law to a degree, so your options limited.
As you have however made payment, it shows some acceptance of their terms sadly.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you