Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

South Aisytralia, I have spoken to AGL and have now been

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Aisytralia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have spoken to AGL and have now been given a reference number.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The issue I have is that my meter was read on 2/8 and I failed to receive a bill. I made four telephone calls to AGL to get a bill issued and have now received an account of $56 for those calls.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

They cannot call you for the calls. If they think you have asked them to do a special read then this appears to be correct if they sent someone else to read the metre.

Have you confirmed what the $56.00 is for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My metre was read on August 2, along with everyone else in the town. AGL have admitted that their billing department failed to generate a bill for me. I feel it is grossly unfair for me to have to chase up a supposedly automatically generated account at my own expense. This was not a special read.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The $56 is for four calls I made to AGL on 131245 to request a bill be sent.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

You do not have to pay the $56.00 if it is for generating a new bill

If they wish you to pay it report it to the ombudsman.

They cannot do that.

http://www.ewosa.com.au/

You do not have to pay. But the complaint has to be in writing they wont accept anything over the phone.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the times dates and duration of the calls on my itemised phone bill. Total time (mostly on hold or being tranferred) 53.25 minutes. Also AGL are advertising a 24/7 phone service. This is misleading as you can only request a balance or pay an accdount by credit card. Problem is, they did not send me an account at all. I have spoken to AGL resolutions and they told me that they are not liable for my calls to them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The $56 is question is now owed to Telstra as the AGL 131245 number is ***** a free call, yet nowhere in my bill does it state this.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

Is the money owing on your phone bill?

That is no AGL's issue.

You can ask AGL to reimburse you but it is not their bill

If your phone plan does not have 13 numbers as free but timed, then you will be held liable.

But you can ask AGO to reimburse you and tell them that it was because of them you incurred it.

Send them an email with the bill and ask they reimburse you.

They do not have to but if they want to keep your business they may do.

But there is nothing else you can do about the account. I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks that is what I thought, but I certainly will bombard social media with warnings about phone numbers that are not free calls but should be. Centrelink for example. Thanks for your help today.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

You are very welcome and good luck

Regards