Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My daughter was married for just over a year to a man who

Customer Question
was abusive and controlling. They...
My daughter was married for just over a year to a man who was abusive and controlling. They did not own a home or have children together. My daughter got almost nothing when he demanded she get out of his house and gave her an hour to pack her and her daughter's belongings. He is now seeking a divorce and is insisting on taking it to court. Does my daughter have to attend this as it is simply him being controlling as usual and trying to hurt my daughter more.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Brisbane
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No and she does not have the money to see a lawyer as she is trying to manage on a low wage and care for her daughter who is 12.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No only that the court house he is taking her too is the same one that she had to go to when fighting for custody of her daughter. He knows all of this.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/11/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

Has she reported the abuse.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor