How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44850
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and daughter-in-law are separated, and my

Customer Question

My son and daughter-in-law are separated, and my daughter-in-law has rung me fourteen times in the past 24 hours, she runs my son down, tells me he is worthless, and that is putting it mildly, she has refused to let me see our grandchildren. I know it her so I don't answer and she leaves messages on 101. Can someone in authority tell her to cease.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I will tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm only talking about this weekend at present, but she has used emotional blackmail with me for years, I love my grandchildren, and want them to be involved with our side of the family as they have been in the past. She is a drinker, usually downs, about two bottles of red a night. I could write a book about their problems over the years. My son will only communicate with her by text as any other communication usually ends in a slanging match. They really need a mediator to sort out when he sees the kids, and get the house sold etc.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just a written reply may help,
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

As the grandparent you have a right to request orders that your granchildren spend time with you,

You have to follow the same process as you son and that is mediation and if that fails seek the courts assistance.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court and

In relation to the messages she leaves you can use them in your evidence that she denigrates him.

You have a right to spend time with your grandchildren and the court recognises your rights.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.


Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** things I already know, and I will urge my son to do the same, Thank you
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon

Also urge him to keep detailed notes about what she says to him and when.

He should also start making a details statement about his relationship with his children and their mother form the date they were born as this will be required if it goes to court. You too will need to do the same.

All the best and good luck



Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good advice thank you
Expert:  Leon replied 1 month ago.

All the best and good luck

I have also asked that your membership be cancelled to the administrators.