Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question in regards to a car accident payout which…

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is***** have a question in regards ***** ***** car accident payout which i am not happy with my vehicle was in an accident someone smashed into my car so i am not at fault their insurance company has given it as a write off and are offering me $4000 ive had this car from brand new bought it 14 years ago 2003 model toyoya corolla ive never had an accident and only have 142000 kms on it first they said it would take 3 days to fix then it got taken to a third repairer whom gave it as a writeoff the only damage was the driver side rear door and quarter panel and a scratch on the light if I only receive $4000 ive looked on the net and my model car 2003 is selling from $5500 to $7000 private sale and car yards can you assist me should I accept the $4000 im on a carers pension taking care of my mother and I need a car to take her to hospital appointment etc thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Nsw 14 yrs old 2003 model in very good condition just got 4 new tyres not long ago no oy

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes the insurance company told me yesterday that the assessor has valued the damage at over $4500 so their offer is $4000

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if I can take it further because I believe I should get at least $5500 to $6000

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/9/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

In your cover was it the market value or the insured value?

If you are not happy with the amount you can fight the insurer on it. You can provide them with evidence of vales you have and also look at redbook and see what it says the value would be.

http://www.redbook.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi7TUoOyW1gIVkQRoCh3u8A7LEAAYASAAEgI5DvD_BwE

You are not obligated to accept the money if you think it is not correct particularly of you have information to back you up.

You have a right to negotiate with them.

If they refuse then you can take the matter to the ombudsman and have them decide based on the evidence you have.

https://www.fos.org.au/

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards