Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

One of my colleague on overseas driving licence who received…

Customer Question
Hi One of my...

Hi One of my colleague on overseas driving licence who received speed ticket with 4 demerit points and penality of $350.Will the points carry over if he goes for nsw licence

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sydney , nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No ..just received a letter with fine $350

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/8/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

Generally they apply the licence he has.

But my understanding is that when he applies fro a NSW licence he will have to show the overseas one he is driving on and they will put the points on his NSW licence.

If he applies as a new driver as though he has not held a licence and goes through the process of Learners permit and then provisional then he will have a clean NSW licence.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards