John Melis,
Experience:  Principal Lawyer at Legal AU Pty Ltd
99270703

My dad died 2.5 years ago and my brother was executor to his

Customer Question

Hi, My dad died 2.5 years ago and my brother was executor to his will. My dad told my sister that he had five bank accounts in Ireland before he died but my brother only presented account numbers for four bank accounts in Ireland. My brother also took control of all dad's money before he died and he said he consolidated all of dad's money and deposited it into one Australian bank account. My brother seems to have come into a lot of money in the past two years and my sister and I are wondering how to verify whether or not one of dad's bank accounts was put aside and not consolidated into the Australian account as was all the others. Should my sister and I be approaching a forensic lawyer in Ireland?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My father lived in Tasmania, I live in Queensland and my sister lives in the NT.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We have bank statements from the Australian Bank account but that wouldn't show us any money from an Irish account that hasn't been declared. We haven't had access to any original documents and we were only provided with digital copies of the transactions from the Australian bank account in the two years before dad died. Most of those transactions were to pay for dad's care.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly.

Kind regards

Dear customer, in relation to your important matter, your are correct with your comments. I recommend that you engage a forensic accountant to investigate the financial affairs of your father. The forensic accountant will be able to detail the trail of money.

Where your bother has inappropriately not declared bank accounts and has misappropriated those funds a claim may be raised against him as executor of the estate. Careful planning will be required for this stage when it occurs.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Kind regards