Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I want some advice on setting up a company, My boyfriend and…

Customer Question
I want some advice...

I want some advice on setting up a company

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My boyfriend and I want to open a company, I will hold the director title and he will be an employee which I will pay him a wage, We will invoice his current employer and become a contractor

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

My boyfriend is in Bankruptcy which is why we want to set it up this way as he can't be a director of a company, I will basically do all the invoicing and book keeping and order the clothing for the contractee, but he of course will be doing most of the work and hours of 40 hours a week

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
We will be invoicing the company (his current employer) monthly for around 140k per year. We plan to use the 140k on business expenses, personal expenses and paying him and myself a wage. The company wont exactly make profits because we use all that money currently to live off.
We want to know if we are allowed to set this up this way, what are the risks, and will we be paying high tax or PSI tax?
This is in Australia right?
Or would setting the company up as a sole trader be a better and easier option ?
9/7/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor
Hello
Well the issue is, your not friend will be taxed as he is just an employee, it will attract a tax for his income.He iscan employee, not a company / business owner, well not on the books anyway.Otherwise, what you propose, buying anything else, writing stuff off, paying for most of your items so it runs at a loss works and is legal.My only suggestion is to pay him a low salary so not to attract too much tax and work a way to have you both benefit that way.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

Hi there, I need further advice I don't feel it's answering my question yet

Hello what further assistance do you need?

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.