Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

An insurance company accepted a claim and took the excess…

Customer Question
An insurance company accepted...

An insurance company accepted a claim and took the excess then 2 months later when repairs were being done came back and said a clerical error had occurred and they will refund the excess sorry about that

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

This was in Victoria there wasn't a purchase it was an insurance claim

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A claim was made and my son was told to pay the excess which he did then assumed everything was in place then told today, 2 months later that the policy will not be honoured because he had accidently backed into his brothers car who lived at the same address. He asked why had they told him to proceed and pay the excess they said it was their error

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been in contact with the insurance company and they said they are sorry I asked for that in writing but they will not do that. I asked to speak to a manager but they will not do that as that is not the process, every thing I asked for they just say that is not the way there process works, very frustrating

Lawyer's Assistant: Of course. The best way to reach them is by emailing***@******.***

Have you any advice?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/7/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

The policies say if they are related parties that live in the same house they do not pay.

How much did the reparis cost?